June 13, 2009

Mt. Timpanogus Cave


This is what they call "the heart" of the cave.








She is not falling for "it's just a short hike" again. I think we were less then half way when we told how far it really was.





Baby O fell asleep on the way down the mountain. Scott had her in the carrier and zipped up in his rain jacket.

I am terrified of heights. I have dreams of free falling quit often. I have never fallen from high places so I am not sure where this fear comes from. I love the Mountains though. The majestic beauty is breath taking. We hiked up Mt. Temanogus to the cave at the top. It was a 1.5 mile hike up a steep incline, it was a switchback so it zig zaged back and forth. Most of the hike was OK, but there were a handfull of times when the path seamed very narrow. You had a rock wall on one side and a drop off to sudden death on the other. My legs felt like Jello and I felt like I was going to throw up but I kept going. Debbie, Scott's mom, has trouble with her feet and we talked her into hiking to the top. She was not thrilled about the idea but caved to peer pressure. She made it to the top with all of us and she did great. My kids got to experience a cave for the first time and they were pretty amazed at the treasures it had to offer. The hike back down was cold and wet. A thunderstorm rolled through while we were in the cave and it was still raining on our hike down.

3 comments:

Libby said...

It looks like you guys are having a great time. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Laura said...

Wow Em! Looks like you guys are having such a great time! I miss you!

Leslie said...

I've always wanted to do that.