May 26, 2013

Summer, Stitches and Strawberries


* Friday was the last day of school for the kids and for Tristen it was a difficult ending. She gets pretty attached to her teachers and she cried on and off most of the afternoon. She has a very tender spirit and loves easily. I love that about her. 

* It only took 4 hours after the ending of school to hear the words "I'm bored!", don't you worry my darlings I have a plan. They will learn real quick to not use those words within ear shot of me. 

* In a few weeks miss Molly will get a second set of tubes and adenoids removed. We did a follow up with the ear Dr and discovered that her first set fell out and she can't hear. Makes sense since as she has no volume control. 

* Our Saturday started out with donuts and train watching with grandpa at the cemetery and ended with Livy getting stitches. There is a dirt pile in the back of the cemetery next to a little creek and a concrete tunnel that runs under the train tracks. The side of the hill is lined with large rocks and is perfect for curious children. They like to throw rocks in the water and today was no different. We were enjoying the cooler morning and making memories with grandpa. Well Tristen wandered up the hill and was standing on the top of the concrete drain and Livy followed. They both sat down away from the edge so I didn't tell them to get down. I'm always telling them what not to do. I saw the potential danger but let them sit. Well I took my eyes off them for less then 5 seconds and the next thing I see is Livy falling feet first into the rocks and shallow water below. The ice cold fear that all parents dread gripped my heart and I went into fight of flight mode. I scooped her up out of the muddy water and began to asses the damage. She looked ok and the only blood was coming from her forehead. Scott was called and he rushed over to check her out. After getting the cut cleaned up we decided it needed stitches. 
Miss Livy is a trooper and never lost her smile. We sat with the lidocaine on the cut for an hour before they stitched her up. 3 stitches, a hot pink band aid and a pink frosting cupcake from Smallcakes made everything right with her. Since I didn't see what happened I asked Tristen.  She said Livy had picked up a very large rock to throw over the edge and she lost her balance as she was chucking it over the edge. 

I went to bed last night feeling pretty blessed that she was spared from injures that could have been worse. 

* We have strawberries growing in the garden again this year. On our daily checks for ripe berries I keep finding half eaten berries. What!?! I caught the culprits in the act, darn birds!!!  I did a quick Google search on how to save my berries and then ran to Walmart for 3 yards of Tulle. I made a rigged canopy with sticks, tulle and a staple gun. It's temporary until I can get the PVC pipes to make a permanent canopy. 

No comments: