February 16, 2009

Black Bean Soup

Scott had to work on Valentines day this year so I brought dinner and the kids to him. We watched a cute movie called City of Ember and I made black bean soup. I am going to include the recipe for my peeps that wanted to try it. I am protesting meat so I have been making meatless meals and I find them more satisfying.

Black Bean Soup

  • 3 cup Black Beans, sorted & rinsed (It's great to pre-cook BB and store in freezer, so you don't have to use canned)
  • 6 cups Water
  • 7 cup stock, or homemade broth from cooking chicken breasts/thighs
  • 1 Tomato cut in pieces
  • 2 cups Celery, chopped
  • 1 Carrot, large chopped
  • 1 Onion, large chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 1 tsp Basil
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp Marjoram
  • 1 1/2 TBS Lemon/Lime juice

Soak Black beans in 6 cups of water overnight in large pot. Drain the soaking water and refill pot with 7 cups chicken/vegetable broth and cook for 2-2 1/2 hours until beans are soft. When beans are soft, add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, basil and marjoram. For a sharper flavor add the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to taste. Salt & Pepper to taste. Add diced tomato after beans are soft. Then remove the bay leaves and blend soup in a food processor or blender if you prefer. Return soup to pot and reheat and serve garnishing each bowl with 1/2 tsp chives or green onion tops! YUMMMMM! p.s I also like to add a teensy bit of avocado on top.

(notes: I did not put it in the food processor, for me it is a visual thing and I want to see the whole of what I am eating. I also used canned beans to make it easier. Avocado slices were yummy on top with the green onion.)

2 comments:

Cammy Aller said...

I love soup and beans so I will be trying this one. Thanks!! I cant believe how chubby Oliva is!! Reminds me of my chubby ones :) So cute!

Courtney said...

That seems like the most complicated soup ever. It sounds very yummy; I'll wait for you to make it for me.