February 1, 2011
Bone Marrow Donor
During my Junior year in High School there was a kid in our community that was dying from Leukemia and his only hope of survival was a bone marrow transplant. A local church set up a blood donation center to get tested to find a match to help save his life. I remember I really wanted to be his match so he could live. Unfortunately I was not, the chances of finding a bone marrow match are very slim. However I have stayed on the list and through out the years I have received letters letting me know I was close to being a match, but not close enough. This past week FedEx delivered to my door, an overnight letter from Baylor Medical center letting me know that I was a match for a 63 year old woman who was dying from a rare form of Leukemia. Her only hope to live was a bone marrow transplant. The doctors needed to know if I was willing to proceed with more in depth testing. I was elated and then quickly realized that it was not an option at this time in my life. I'm pregnant and not sure how long I will nurse. I was placed on the medically unavailable list for 6 months. I'm sad for this woman, who might be someones mom, or grandma. I hope they are able to find her another match because I would do it in a heartbeat if my situation were different.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are amazing! I love your tender, honest heart!
Wow this is a great story! You always have amazing stories. I love catching up on your blog :)
Post a Comment