February 27, 2013

After a long and exhausting day shoveling another foot of snow, entertaining children without electricity, cleaning up 3 boxes of cereal that got dumped on the floor and spread throughout the house, and preparing dinner once the electricity was restored, I was ready to raise the white flag and give up. Scott said to me, "do you know what sounds really good? Cinnamon rolls." So I pulled out the bread maker and got to work. The kids were eager to help in anyway and they were climbing all over the place to get a chance to dump the flour, roll out the dough, spread the butter, spread the cinnamon and sugar. They wanted to do it all, my patience was worn thin and in a firm voice I told them all to get back. Poor Molly choose not to listen and started poking the rolled out dough with her toes. I snatched her up and sent her to her room crying hysterically. After about a minute I heard the door open and she was still quietly sobbing but she was singing her favorite song. "Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky. Whenever I feel the rain on my face, or the wind as it rushes by." (My Heavenly Father Love Me)
My heart melted, I knew she just wanted to help so I called her back out and we finished up the cinnamon rolls. Its moments like these that make the crappy parts of being a mom worth it.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Emily you are a saint!!

Katie Koivisto said...

so been there... so worth it. Only my experience was Kai saying a soft prayer. It's amazing what those little people are capable of isn't it?!